If you do not know how to change DNS server in Windows 10, you can read the following article. This article contains tutorial on how to do it correctly.
DNS stands for Domain Name System. You will find various DNS available in the internet that you can use in your computer. However, what DNS actually is? In this article, we are going to talk about what is the definition of DNS and how you can change the DNS server in your computer.
What is DNS?
You probably like to browse in the internet. When you visit particular site, you will interact with database distributed in the world. This database is collectively called as DNS, which stands for Domain Name System.
Without DNS, you have to know about the website’s IP address when you want to access it. IP address is commonly written in form of 220.127.116.11, which is hard to remember. Thanks to DNS, you can visit any page easier, because you only need to remember the domain name of the website.
For your information, DNS is like a phone book for internet. In the cellular phone book, you probably do not know the phone number of particular person even if you know his or her name. In this case, you can look into the phone book. As it goes with phone book, DNS works in the similar principle for the internet.
When you visit http://google.com in your browser, your computer will use the DNS to take website IP address from 18.104.22.168. Without DNS, you need to type that IP address in your browser when you access Google site. Therefore, you need to type http:// 22.214.171.124. You can easily see that it is easier to remember Google.com than IP address.
Changing the DNS Server
The benefit of using DNS is more than that. When you make an adjustment of DNS in your computer, you will be able to access any website faster. You can change DNS to access blocked website as well. The government of certain country often blocks particular sites with adult contents, pornography, gambling, violence, and many more. For those of you who want to know how to change DNS in your Windows 10 computer, you can do the following steps. The tutorial will discuss how to perform it in Windows 10, but it also works in Windows 8 and Windows 7.
- Click Start button (Windows icon) and go to Control Panel (you can also right click the start button and select Control Panel).
- Open Network and Internet then click on Network and Sharing Center.
- Click Change adapter settings.
- At this rate, you can see list of network adapter. Select the adaptor you currently using. Right click on the adapter that is being used and select Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).
- Click Properties. The Internet properties protocol window will pop up.
On this window, select Use the Following DNS server address then fill it with your DNS. Here is how you can complete the DNS from OpenDNS:
– Preferred DNS Server: 126.96.36.199
– Alternate DNS Server: 188.8.131.52
Alternatively, you can also use other DNS, such as Google DNS:
– Preferred DNS Server: 184.108.40.206
– Alternate DNS Server: 8.4.4
- Check on the Validate setting upon exit. Then, click OK.
It is complete. Now you have finally changed your DNS. Some blocked sites will probably accessible. Some users also report that using Google DNS allows you to browse faster. That being said, this article will only contain tutorial on how to change DNS in Windows 10, which is also working perfectly for Windows 7 and 8.